Mª Auxiliadora Prieto
Group of "Polymer Biotechnology"
Departamento de Biotecnología Microbiana y de Plantas
Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas-Margarita Salas (CIB-MS)
Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas
C/ Ramiro de Maeztu, 9
28040 Madrid, España
Telf.: +34 918373112 Ext.: 4228
Group of "Polymer Biotechnology":
The group is focused in the production of bioplastics by using tools of molecular biology and metabolomic engineering, combined with new omics technologies and synthetic biology. Mainly, our research activity is based on the production of bacterial polyesters or polyhidroxialcanoates (PHA) because they are considered as promising biopolymers due to their biodegradable and biocompatible character. With this aim, we design processes of production through the revalorization of industrial and urban residues as the glycerol, fatty residues or gas of synthesis (syngas). We use natural bacteria and genetically improved microorganisms for such process. We also study the metabolic routes and their regulated networks, and the impact on the physiology of other microorganisms of the environment. This research is applied on the production of new materials, including functionalized PHAs with new properties (e.g. antimicrobial), which can be chemically modified after the biosynthesis. The group collaborates in Nanobiocargo with Dr. Pedro García of the CIB-MS in the functionalization of nanoparticles with fagic origin enzybiotics.
Relevant publications in the last five years:
- E. González, C. Herencias, M.A. Prieto; "A polyhydroxyalkanoate‐based encapsulating strategy for ‘bioplasticizing’ microorganisms". Microbial Biotechnology 2020, 13, 185.
- M.A. Hernández‐Arriaga, C. del Cerro, L. Urbina, A. Eceiza, M.A. Corcuera, A. Retegi, M.A. Prieto; "Genome sequence and characterization of the bcs clusters for the production of nanocellulose from the low pH resistant strain Komagataeibacter medellinensis" Microbial biotechnology 2019, 12, 620.
- A. Mato, N. A. Tarzona, A. Hidalgo, A. Cruz, M. Jiménez, J. Perez-Gil, M. A. Prieto; "Interfacial activity of phasin PhaF from Pseudomonas putida KT2440 at hydrophobic-hydrophilic biointerfaces"; Langmuir, 2019, 35, 678.
- N. A. Tarazona, R. Machatschek, B. Schulz, M. A. Prieto, A. Lendlein; "Molecular insights into the physical adsorption of amphiphilic protein PhaF onto copolyester surfaces"; Biomacromolecules, 2019, 20, 3242.
- V. Martínez, C. Herencias, E. Jurkevitch, M.A. Prieto; "Engineering a predatory bacterium as a proficient killer agent for intracellular bio-products recovery: The case of the polyhydroxyalkanoates"; Scientific Report 2016, 6, 24381.